Some good tips that we were told to help us do a long run now that summer has set in are:
1. Start early in order to finish before the sun is at its best
2. Dress as light as possible
3. Drink often – electrolytes every 20 mins while running and before your head out
4. Seek shade enroute where possible
5. Check the breeze and try to run into the wind
6. Start slow and pick up only if you feel ok
Learn to be patient with your body….. it will take a good 2-3 weeks for it to climatize to the heat – eventually it will learn to adjust by decreasing heart rate and temperature and increase sweat rate!!